Apr 14

The conflict between truth and falsehood is basic to reality. The Bible can be seen as a record of this conflict. There have been casualties on both sides.

I love the truth. I want the truth about reality so much that I have spent my whole life in pursuit of it. It is why I am a Christian.

A survey once asked Christians if Christianity were not true, would they want to know it. I was distressed when I discovered that some answered no, they would not want to know it. What kind of faith is it that is based solely on comfort or fear of knowing the truth? How shaky a foundation for a faith that rests upon not wanting to know the truth.

Some of the largest religions in the world rely upon fear and intimidation to keep their adherents in line. What kind of god is so insecure and so feeble that he must depend upon such tactics to keep his subjects in tow?

If Christianity were not true, I would want to know it. I do not want to live a lie, a fantasy, unreal life. I want truth. I want what is real, not what is make-believe. I want Jesus because he is the truth. If he were not the truth, I would not want him.

God wants the same thing. He wants children for himself, a people, that are not content to live a lie, who want what is real. God is the most real thing in reality. And God wants people who are real and whose love for him is real, not a love that is forced upon them.

Scripture for today: Hosea 6:4-6
Thought for today: God is real and my faith in him must be based on truth and reality.
Prayer for today: Lord, strengthen my faith and make its roots to be based on your truth and not on my soul's desire for comfort.

APR 14

No comments:

Post a Comment